sábado, 26 de junho de 2021



 


                 XLIII


How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with the passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, - I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! - and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.


 Elizabeth Barrett Browning. Sonnets from the Portuguese, A Celebration of Love. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1986, s/p.
.
.
___________________________

   Soneto 43 de Elizabeth Barrett Browning traduzido para português, variante do Brasil, por Manuel Bandeira:


Amo-te quando em largo, alto e profundo
Minh'alma alcança quando, transportada,
Sente, alongando os olhos deste mundo.
Os fins do Ser, a Graça entressonhada.

Amo-te em cada dia, hora e segundo:
À luz do sol, na noite sossegada.
E é tão pura a paixão de que me inundo
Quanto o pudor dos que não pedem nada.

Amo-te com o doer das velhas penas;
Com sorrisos, com lágrimas de prece,
E a fé da minha infância, ingénua e forte.

Amo-te até nas coisas mais pequenas.
Por toda a vida. E, assim Deus o quisesse,
Ainda mais te amarei depois da morte.
.
.
.